Thursday, December 23, 2010

Lead Up to Christmas...


Christmas is but two days away, but celebrations begin tomorrow. With northern europeans begin the majority in the camp here in turkey, tomorrow is the big day for them. But being in Turkey, things will be different for most of us from western cultures:

Firstly, that christmas isn't celebrated here. In my ignorance, I have no knowledge of what sort of acknowledgement the Muslim have for their prophet, but that will no doubt come to light in the coming days when it becomes more topical.

Second, most people are used to the snow and cold at this time of year, but apart from one days snowfall, that will be absent as well. This is where I find myself to be more at home. Warm weather, and blue skies. And even though it is not exactly summer, the sun on my back while climbing certainly gives me a welcome reminder of home at this time of the year, all the way on the other side of the world.


The one thing that will remain the same:

People coming together. I may not believe in what christmas originates from, but do believe in what it brings out in people: Sharing. Not the sharing of gifts, but the sharing of company, conversation, common values. Eating good food, meeting good people, enjoying good times.

Happy holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment